Sports Medicine

What`s wrong with my foot?

06/30/2008

Question:

Hi, Off and on for several months I have a pulling/burning sensation down the inside, behind the ankle bone that runs to the bottom of my foot. It`s like someone is pulling a burning string when I move my foot. Now, I have, in addition, a hurting/burning spot on the inside right of my left foot near the arch. There is also a really sore spot, like s stone bruise, but more permanent, in the center of the bottom of my heel. The only major health problems I have are swelling hands and feet and degenerative disk disease with stenosis, etc. Help! What`s wrong with me?

Answer:

It sounds as if you may have plantar fasciitis which is a condition characterized by heel pain, arch pain and other pulling/burning pain on the bottom of the foot. There are also some other nerve entrapment syndromes such as Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, that may also explain your discomfort. Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, like most nerve entrapment syndromes, results from repetitive trauma (in this case walking or weight bearing) and compression on the major nerve on the inside of the lower leg and foot. A detailed examination by your foot care specialist is recommended for a more definitive diagnosis and management recommendations.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery