COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Personality changes

06/24/2008

Question:

My husand has been suffering from emphysema for several years now - in & out of hospitals. 10 days ago he was transferred to a Rehab Hospital for pulmonary & weight rehab. He`s become extremely short tempered, irritable and in short very grouchy. A nurse at the rehab hospital told me that this is very common for emphysema patients due to their oxygen levels. I`ve always attritubed it to just feeling bad, hospital stays, weight loss, ect. None of his Dr`s have ever mentioned it, and as silly as it sounds, I never equated it to the oxygen. Maybe this could be a new topic to discuss - because I know I`ve never read anything about it before. Might be useful for family and friends to help them understand more about this disease.

Thanks for listening!!

Answer:

Anxiety and depression are common in individuals with emphysema. This is not related to oxygen levels. Mood swings and irritability are common side effects of prednisone or other oral steroids.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine