Pain Management

Pain Medications

06/30/2008

Question:

When I had surgery on my knee for a torn cartilage I was given to lots of morphine in my IV and it never helped at all. Because it was day surgery I was sent hope with 292`s. Again never did any thing. I know have sever RA and was given Tylenol 3`s for it and never helped either. So when my doctor asked me to try Demoral I told her that the Tylenol 3`s didn't work so I didn't get it. What does this mean for me and pain relief? Could it be that no pain medications will work for me or that the right ones were not used at the right time. I might have to have more surgery so what can I do for the pain if the meds don`t work?

Answer:

Part of the population lack the enzyme in the liver to metabolize the drugs and makes it not effective.

I suggest that you ask your anesthesiologist about regional anesthesia and also consult a pain physician to put you on the medication that will work to control your pain.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia