Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Bleeding

06/24/2008

Question:

My daughter has a very tiny spot on her back that if irritated will bleed profusely. The hole can`t even be seen very well. She just got this. When I was doing her hair, it somehow got rubbed, and I had to use a steptic pencil to get it to stop. Before we got it stopped it had left a blood mark on her shirt of about 1" in diameter. I tried pressure first, but only the steptic worked. I would appreciate any advice on this. She is taking Allie to lose weight. Is this some side effect? Thank you, C. Webb

Answer:

It is very hard to give any specific advise without having a chance to examine and talk to your daughter. From what you describe though, it sounds as though she should have a physician look at the “spot” on her back before doing anything else to try and figure out what it may be and to see if there is anything that needs to be done.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine