Athletic Training

Pain in back of knee

07/03/2008

Question:

I have been doing alot of walking lately and I also have rheumatoid arthritis and I have had osteoarthritis in that knee for 13 years now. I have also had arthroscopic surgery on that knee for a torn cartlidge and that is when they told me that I had arthritis.

Lately I have been getting pain in the back of that knee. Like in the tendons or ligaments that are on both sides of the back of my knee. Any ideas what this could be from? Could this be from all the walking that I have been doing or could the RA be causing my knee to become unstable?

Answer:

There are multiple explanations for your pain.  It sounds like the pain is located over your hamstring tendons.  Muscle and tendon soreness is common with any increase in activity, even walking.  It may also be referred pain from the arthritis in your knee and the decreased shock absorbers (cartilage) in your knee joint.  Finally, check out your footwear.  Make sure your shoes are providing good support, do not have a raised heel (such as Nike Shox) and are tied properly.  You should follow-up with your physician if the pain persists or increases to ensure no further injury is sustained.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Mary  Laingen, MS, ATC Mary Laingen, MS, ATC
Assistant Athletic Trainer
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences