Dental and Oral Health Center

Blisters on tongue and back of mouth/throat

06/30/2008

Question:

Recently I have been bothered by blisters that come up on the back of my throat or side of mouth near or at my throat area. These blisters are not painful and burst within a day but another comes up within 2-3 days always on the back of my tongue or near my throat. The source of bother is that they feel similar to a popcorn husk attached to my tongue or throat. This spring I began taking Ovatrophin, Drenamin, Green Matrix and fish oil capsules with essential oil of orange as recommended by my doctor as a part of a wellness program and because I am premenopausal.

Answer:

What you are describing sounds like it could be something called superficial mucocele. Additional information about mucocele will be attached to this reply. In short, the small saliva (spit) glands found in the area you describe as well as much of the lips and cheeks can develop of leak and the saliva gets trapped just under the mucosa (skin of the mouth). This produces a painless, small blister that often breaks in 2-3 days releasing the spilled saliva. Unfortunately, these do tend to recur and can be annoying.

If there is any question or this problem seems to be worsening, you should get an appointment with an oral surgeon the next time a blister appears.

Good luck!

Mucocele

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology