COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

COPD

07/07/2008

Question:

I have copd, on oxygen 2 litrs daytime and 3 at night. Just went on oxygen 7 weeks ago and my blood pressure has now drooped to an average of 105/55 (which is really low for me)and I`m still on high blood pressure medication. Before the oxygen my blood pressure ran about 140/80 on medication. Would going on oxygen cause a drop in the pressure? My pulmonary funtion tests showed 36% so that is the reason for the oxygen. I had lung cancer some 7 years ago and they removed two of the lobes from my right lung. The rest of my lungs have emphysema. I`m worried that the low blood pressure may be CHF. What is your opinion?

Answer:

The low blood pressure is not exclusively a sign of CHF. Your high blood pressure condition might have improved with supplemental oxygen. You may need to see your physician to adjust your blood pressure medications. 

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep