Head and Neck Cancer

Neck lumps

07/07/2008

Question:

Hello I`ve had 2 neck lumps (non-painful) for a few years. A scan revealed a 4mm lump, but the consultation afterwards was rather ambiguous, stating that I`ve probably had some years of infection which has caused a permanent swollen lump. The specialist told me to come back when it was 6mm and that my General Practitioner would check it. I wasn`t really worried, but now I`ve developed a lump below my elbow on the bone at the same side as the neck lump (non-painful) and a smaller one is developing underneath. They are hard and larger than the neck lumps. I don`t want to see a doctor, but I`m curious as to what`s going on. Thank you. From England.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Any neck mass present for more than 2 weeks is considered abnormal and should be evaluated.  In this case, I would add that you should have these looked at by a physician, especially since one is new and the other doesn’t seem to have been looked at in a while. A good head and neck evaluation is needed, possibly a scan, and maybe even a biopsy. Make sure you see your physician.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing