Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Burning sensation in throat and sinus.

Hi, every once in awhile, typically every few months, I get a burning sensation in my sinus and my throat, also I get a copper like taste, but the taste isn`t coming from my mouth, it`s like I can taste it in my sinus. This sounds really strange but there is no other way to explain it. This happened a few days ago and it just happened again today.

I am a little concerned about this. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Without more detailed information and an opportunity to examine you, it is difficult to be specific.  The symptoms you describe are not very common. 

A burning in the throat can be caused by persistent post nasal drip, or alternatively, by acid reflux.  A chronic sinus infection may cause chronic post nasal drip and throat irritation, and may cause some discomfort when breathing through the nose.  This drainage can sometimes have a foul taste, perhaps even a metallic taste. 

I would suggest an evaluation by an ear, nose, and throat physician. 

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy