Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Burning sensation in throat and sinus.

07/11/2008

Question:

Hi, every once in awhile, typically every few months, I get a burning sensation in my sinus and my throat, also I get a copper like taste, but the taste isn`t coming from my mouth, it`s like I can taste it in my sinus. This sounds really strange but there is no other way to explain it. This happened a few days ago and it just happened again today.

I am a little concerned about this. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Answer:

Without more detailed information and an opportunity to examine you, it is difficult to be specific.  The symptoms you describe are not very common. 

A burning in the throat can be caused by persistent post nasal drip, or alternatively, by acid reflux.  A chronic sinus infection may cause chronic post nasal drip and throat irritation, and may cause some discomfort when breathing through the nose.  This drainage can sometimes have a foul taste, perhaps even a metallic taste. 

I would suggest an evaluation by an ear, nose, and throat physician. 

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy