Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Allergic to contrast dye



I have had fish/iodine allergies all my life and a physician years ago told me never to have contrast dye injected. I have worn a medic alert bracelet since the beginning of Medic Alert. Now that I`m older, what tests could be given to see if I have clogged arteries? Thank you.


Contrary to a commonly believed myth, there is no relationship between fish allergy and possible reactions to radiocontrast media. Many species of seafood contain inorganic iodine but this compound is not related to organic iodine contained in radiocontrast media. You may still wish to be tested for fish allergy by an allergy specialist.

For more information:

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Response by:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati