Myasthenia Gravis

Have hyperthyroid and need to remove thymoma

07/14/2008

Question:

I HAVE MYASTHENIA GRAVIS FOR OVER 5 YEARS NOW AND WAS RECENTLY DIAGNOSE WITH HYPERTHYROIDISM AND ALSO HAVING A THYMOMA`WHEN SHOULD A THYMECTOMY BE DONE AT THIS POINT, DOES THE THYROID HAVE TO BE COMPLETELY UNDERCONTROL, I WAS TOLD THAT A CT SCAN CANNOT DONE BECAUSE OF FLARING UP OF THYROID. HOW LONG CAN I WAIT? HOW FAST DOES A THYMOMA GROWS AND WHAT CAN CONTRIBUT TO ITS GROWTH

Answer:

Removing a thymoma is, of course important, but it does not need to be rushed. I think it is most important to achieve good control of the MG, so that the patient does well after the surgery. If it appears that the hyperthyroidism is complicating control of the MG or poses a health risk itself, then it needs to be controlled.

In general, thymoma are not rapidly growing tumors.

I don't see why thyroid disease would interfere with your having a chest CT scan. Usually, we do not use contrast in patients with myasthenia gravis.

Remember, always work carefully with your treating neurologist. I wish you the best of luck.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology