Asthma

Is anyone familar with Slobid?

07/07/2008

Question:

I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with a medicine called Slobid. Does anyone know what the side effects are?

I took it quite a while ago and it really helped me with my allergy induced headaches.

Thank you.

Answer:

Slobid is a trade name for theophylline. Theophylline has been used for decades for the treatment of asthma. Its exact mechanism of action is a bit unclear but does have bronchodilating properties. In recent years, theophylline has been replaced as a primary asthma treatment by newer medications such as inhaled corticosteroids. In the latest NIH guidelines for asthma treatment, theophylline is a second line, non preferred drug. Theophylline has many potential side effects including nausea, increased heart rate and seizures. Theophylline interacts with many different medications so you must discuss its use and possible interactions with other medication you take (including antibiotics) with your primary care provider and pharmacist before taking theophylline.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

John G Mastronarde, MD John G Mastronarde, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep