Anxiety and Stress Disorders

How Can I Stop Scratching my Head?

07/17/2008

Question:

Well, for atleast two years, I have developed an increasingly compulsive and unhealthy habit of scratching my scalp. My parents say "Just stop scratching your head!" It`s not that simple... easier said than done. I`ve been seeing a physchiatrist who has prescribed paxil for anxiety. It helps with worrying and excessive thought over the same worry, but I still can`t stop my hands from scratching my head. It has gotten much worse lately. There are red sores that bleed if I scratch them too much on the side of my face just after the hairline. On my scalp there is an awful sore that I really need to stop picking, because it hurts and I don`t think it has any hair growing from it anymore. I really don`t know what to do.

Answer:

I'm going to assume that you are younger (20's-30's) and that you have no dermatological issues as identified by a dermatologist/ other physician. These symptoms that you describe are consistent with an anxiety disorder within the obsessive compulsive disorder family. Raising the dose of paroxetine or changing to a different serotonin antidepressant can sometimes be helpful. Psychotherapy (specifically behavioral therapy) is frequently a reasonable adjunctive treatment to the paroxetine as well and can be helpful. Other adjunctive medications can at times be useful and should be discussed with your psychiatrist.

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Emeritus