Tuberculosis

Dosages / Infection / Precuations

08/13/2008

Question:

I have been diagnosed of Tubercular Lymphadenitis. I am fit, don`t smoke, take mild liquor once a month, exercise daily and am generally healthy. Then could I have caught this? What could have gone wrong?

FNAC tests have been done to confirm and AFB stain is being conducted? What will this tell me?

Base line LFT has been done and following drugs have been prescribed: Cap R Cinex 600 mg, Tab P Zide 750 mg, Tab Mycobutol 1000 mg, T Benadon 40 mg and Tab Bidanzen fort. Is this okay?

Is this disease infectious? What precautions do I need to take?

Thanks a ton and regards

Answer:

Tuberculosis lymphadenitis is a relatively common form of tuberculosis. You were probably exposed to tuberculosis at some time in the past and the infection became dormant. It has now awakened in a lymph node. It is not known why or how the infection is triggered to wake up. It is generally not affected by lifestyle choices. The tests you mention are meant to further confirm your diagnosis. The medications you are taking are standard TB treatment. If your TB only involves a lymph node and not your lung, then you are not infectious to others.

Good luck. Taking the medications as prescribed by your doctor is the most important way to assure a cure from TB.

Go to the Tuberculosis health topic, where you can:

Catherine A Curley, MD, MS Catherine A Curley, MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Medicine