Thyroid Diseases

Anxiety Caused By Hyperthyroidism

07/15/2008

Question:

My daughter suffers from severe anxiety. She recently had a thyroid test and the level was .33 then six weeks later it was .66. I was told the normal range is .45 to 4.5. So she wouldn`t be treated until the test was out of range consistantly. She is taking BuSpar (7.5 mg bid) and Xanax as needed for anxiety.

My question is: Why can`t they treat her for the overactive thyroid and maybe her anxiety symptoms would go away? What is a good anxiety medicine? She has taken Prozac in the past and it quit working and on lexapro she was zoned out most of the time.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. This question should be answered by a psychiatrist since the main question is the treatment for anxiety, and thyroid disease is not the reason for this condition.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Marzieh  Salehi, MD Marzieh Salehi, MD
Assistant Professor of Endocrinology