Gum Diseases

Connective tissue graft healing

07/21/2008

Question:

I had a connective tissue graft on the lower front teeth taken from the palate about a week ago, with stitches coming out in a few days. The visible tissue over and around the original defect now looks white and necrotic with a few dark spots and some brown/blackish margins (it`s not a color mismatch as with a free gingival graft - this is genuinely white, with a pussy appearance, though I`m of course not going to touch or manipulate it). Is this normal at this stage of healing, with healthier graft and original tissue likely established below the outer white/dead area, or does it suggest graft failure?

Answer:

One week is still too early to tell. There will be some sloughing based on the thickness of the soft tissue. Generally, we wait approximately 3-6 weeks to determine how much gain we obtained with the surgery.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology