Gum Diseases

Connective tissue graft healing

I had a connective tissue graft on the lower front teeth taken from the palate about a week ago, with stitches coming out in a few days. The visible tissue over and around the original defect now looks white and necrotic with a few dark spots and some brown/blackish margins (it`s not a color mismatch as with a free gingival graft - this is genuinely white, with a pussy appearance, though I`m of course not going to touch or manipulate it). Is this normal at this stage of healing, with healthier graft and original tissue likely established below the outer white/dead area, or does it suggest graft failure?

One week is still too early to tell. There will be some sloughing based on the thickness of the soft tissue. Generally, we wait approximately 3-6 weeks to determine how much gain we obtained with the surgery.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology