Digestive Disorders

Menu for gallbladder problems

07/10/2008

Question:

What can I eat so that I don`t cause an attack? I am told nothing fatty, no seasonings and no pasta. Is there a specific menu I can follow until I see the MD?

Answer:

After having a cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder), it is important to follow a low-fat diet for several weeks or months. Fat tolerance varies from person to person, therefore the diet needs to be tailored to your needs (that is why I recommend seeing a registered dietitian to help you out). Eventually, you may return to an unrestricted diet.

If the you are overweight, weight loss is also recommended (by limiting the fats in your diet, calories are also decreased and weight loss will follow). It is best to choose "whole foods" instead of highly processed ones. Look for "fat free" on the label. You will want to choose non-fat milk and dairy products, egg whites (no yolks), limited amounts of lean meats, poultry without the skin or fish (fresh or packed in water), fresh fruits and vegetables (not fried, in cheese or cream sauces), whole grains (avoiding pastries, donuts, cookies, croissant rolls, many crackers, etc). Avoid butter, margarine, cream cheese, sour cream, gravy, coffee creamer, whipping cream, etc. A spray oil can be used for cooking and fat free salad dressings are okay. Note that nuts, olives, and avocados are also high in fat.

I hope this gives you a head start on the diet and, again, I highly recommend seeing a registered dietitian (RD) in your area for more individualized help. You can visit eatright.org to find an RD in your area. Good luck!

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Jane   Korsberg, MS, RD, LD Jane Korsberg, MS, RD, LD
Senior Instructor of Nutrition