Allergies

Glucosamine allergy

07/14/2008

Question:

I`ve been taking a vegetarian supplement called Glucosamine and MSM (the "NOW" brand). I recently discovered that Whole Foods makes the supplement which also includes Chondrointon, but not in a vegetarian state. I`d like to try the trio to see if it works for me...to help with early stages of osteoarthritis in my knees. One known fact, I am allergic to fresh shrimp (iodine) and I am somewhat reluctant to try the Whole Foods brand containing all three components. What advice do you have for me...other than have an allergy test performed? Or should I simply just start taking the supplement and hope for the best? I called the local pharmacist who seemed to not know very much or did not want to risk advising me simply because of my known shrimp allergy. What information can you offer? Thanks.

Answer:

You should first determine the sources from these ingredients are obtained. The manufacturers should supply this information. If either glucosamine or chondrodointon is obtained from shrimp, you should be tested for shrimp allergy.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus