Gynecology

Missed periods/miscarriage

07/25/2008

Question:

Dear Doctor

I had a misscarriage four months ago and am still waiting for my periods to begin, a D&C wasn`t necessary. My uterus has been scanned and appears to be fine. I`ve had three healthy children in the past and my cycle has always been every 28 days. I am 38 and worried that i may never ovulate again. Is there a simple explaination for the missed periods?

Answer:

There are several possible reasons that you have not yet had a period. Fortunately, never ovulating again (in other words going into the menopause) is probably the least likely explanation for your problem.

The first thing you should do is return to your gynecologist for further evaluation. If not done already, the first test for you will probably have is a repeat pregnancy test. If it is positive, you might still have some pregnancy tissue in your uterus, since it sometimes takes months to completely go away on its own. It is also possible that you have gotten pregnant again, although this is less likely. There are other explanations for positive pregnancy test that your gynecologists will also look into.

If your pregnancy test is negative, there are several standard tests that your gynecologist will perform to see why you are not having periods. In most cases, the reason can be determined within one to two visits.

Good Luck!

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology