Breast Cancer

Breast pain

07/30/2008

Question:

I am 36 years old and take birth control (Seasonale). I had a normal baseline mammagram last year and was told I don`t need another until I am 40. In the past few months, I have been having breast pain while lying on my stomach at night. My breast feel sore and uncomfortable to lie on at times (not daily). Sometimes I have a sharp pain in my breast that almost feels like a burning sensation. I am wondering if this is anything I should be concerned about. It doesn`t last long when I have it and it comes and goes (weeks or months between episodes). I don`t think this a sign of cancer, but I didn`t know where else to post this.

Answer:

This sounds very normal, and breast pain is not a common sign of breast cancer. It may be related to your oral contraceptive. For some people, decreasing your dietary caffeine may help. If this is a symptom only in one breast, I would go and have a good breast exam by your gynecologist, primary care physician or surgeon. And you should have a practitioner exam annually as a general rule.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD