Gynecology

Complex ovarian cyst

08/13/2008

Question:

I have been having some bowel issues,pelvic pain, and irregular menstrual cycle. I went to see my gynecologist two weeks ago and the PA did a urine test and pelvic exam and said everthing looked fine but to come back after my next menstrual cycle if it was abnormal. I was still not satisfied so I went to my Family doctor and asked her for a transvaginal utlrasound. The nurse called my back today and said the ultrasound showed I have a complex ovarian cyst on my left ovary and told me to come back in 3 mos to have another ultrasound. She did not tell me the size of the cyst or anything else. I am concerned. I am 30 yrs old and my mother and grandmother both had breast cancer. I believe waiting 3 mos is to long. What should I do?

Answer:

At your age, a complex cyst is very common as the ovary ovulates every month. This can lead to a complex cyst of variable sizes. It is something that usually resolves in a cycle or two. Most would repeat the scan in about 6 weeks to see the ovary at the end of one cycle, but before another cyst could form.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education