Pain Management

Ankle Swelling and Leg Pain

07/23/2008

Question:

I am 58 year old male, who must stand for prolong periods at work, which causes moderate foot pain and swollen feet. I also have a highly sensitive area in my upper left leg which at times sends sharp jabbing pains with movement. Could these be related? Are these symptoms possible sign or serious health issues. I am overweight (6 foot tall/240 lbs) but in basically good health. What can be done to prevent foot swelling short of finding another job,(hard to come by at my age)? What can be done to address and alleviate symptom in feet and upper leg pain?

Answer:

There could be a relationship between the foot swelling and the pain in the upper leg. The only way to find out is by having a physician perform a careful history and physical examination and occasionally order some tests. To help prevent swelling, one needs to find out the cause of swelling first and again that requires a good evaluation by a specialist. After appropriate evaluation, a number of interventions/medications can be used to control your symptoms.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine