Allergies

Drug allergy

07/28/2008

Question:

I have oral hsv-1 and can`t seem to get it under control. I`m allergic to Valtrex- swelling of nasal passages and lips. Other than the hsv-1, I`m very healthy. I think that I must have a very virulent strain. I`ve had chronic outbreaks for the past year - face, tongue (especially painful - even made ear hurt), and possibly upper back - red pimples reappear in same spot). I`ve been to 3 doctors who tell me that nothing can be done for me because of my allergy - just take lysine. I`ve heard of drug desensitization. Would this be an option for me? Any suggestions? I don`t want to spend the rest of my life dealing with chronic, painful, unsightly outbreaks. Thanks for your time.

Answer:

It is possible to have a graded oral challenge to valtrex which in most cases is effective.  However, it depends on the type of reaction you had and a more extensive history is required.  I would recommend you see an allergist immunologist experienced in evaluating and treating adverse/allergic drug reactions.  If these are aphthous ulcers, in some circumstances colchicine has been demonstrated to be effective and may be worth trying.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD