Myasthenia Gravis

What about myasthenia and platletes

07/28/2008

Question:

I have myasthenia for 30 year some good some bad now i am on predisone 15 mg every other day on the day i don`t take the predisone i feel bad some weakness. had blood test the only thing high was blood platelets dr put me on a nerve pill for the nights i can`t sleep

Answer:

I am not aware of any direct relationship between myasthenia gravis and platelet counts. Patients with myasthenia as long as you have had it might have had other treatments in the past, such as azathioprine or cyclophosphamide somewhere in the past for immunosuppression, and these can cause a higher chance of blood related diseases. Take an inventory of the medications that were used to suppress the myasthenia in your past. Prednisone is not one of the drugs that is associated with long term blood disorders. Other autoimmune diseases are associated with myasthenia, but these usually cause low platelets.

People on alternate day prednisone often feel "off" on the days they don't take the prednisone, but it isn't necessarily the myasthenia. Talk to your treating physician and discuss alternate day dosing vs everyday dosing. He/she should still be able to titrate the prednisone appropriately.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD