Athletic Training

Torn cartlidge, ligament, and tendon

07/21/2008

Question:

My sister-in-law has been having pain in her knee. Then the pain went up to her hip. She went to the doctor and they told her it might be a torn ligament. She has to go and get x-rays and test done to be sure. If she has a completly torn ligament, tendon or cartildge is the only treatment surgery? She is very very afraid of needles. Her dentist does every thing on her with a needle to dead the area first. I hope that she has some other options.

Answer:

Surgery is not always the only answer to a torn ligament. It depends on the ligament that is torn and your sister's activity level as to the best option for treatment. Once she has tests completed, her physician should be able to outline different treatment approaches for her problem. She needs to make sure she discusses her fears with her physician if they determine surgery is the best option.

I wish her good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences