Sports Medicine

Hurt knee

08/01/2008

Question:

from my dr doing my initial consult she though i had torn my meniscus but my mri doesn`t agree. i did the research on the initial guess but i am having trouble understanding what the mri states..."mild semimembranosus tendinosis" and " single deep chondral fissuring along the lateral aspect of the patellar apex at the patellar midpole level." ...what does this mean and what is the typical solution??

Answer:

Tendinosis is a chronic degenerative condition of tendons that is due to wear and tear of tendons over time.  The chondral fissuring of the kneecap is also a wear and tear condition in which cartilage wears out over time.  Typically, continued activity with over the counter anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and/or glucosamine can help with these symptoms.  A neoprene knee sleeve can also help as well.  If the symptoms persist with these interventions longer than several weeks, I would recommend repeat evaluation by your physician and consideration of physical therapy. 

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Charles Webster, MD