Hemochromatosis

Do symptoms precede abnormal labs?

08/06/2008

Question:

I`m a 42 year old male showing most of the signs of hemochromatosis. I think I have a history of this on my mother`s side. I have not had the iron tests, but have just had a CBC and other blood work. It all came back normal except for low testosterone (which is one of the symptoms of HH).

With HH would I expect the lab tests, at least the liver enzymes, to be elevated prior to experiencing symptoms?

Answer:

Your current symptoms are quite consistent with possible underlying hemochromatosis although specific testing is still required to confirm the diagnosis.

We would suggest a ferritin, iron, total iron binding capacity (TIBC), and consideration of hemochromatosis gene assays to confirm the diagnosis. You need to take this up with your primary care physician or specialist so they can get the appropriate work done.

Go to the Hemochromatosis health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org