Is Gastric Bypass a good idea for me?

07/28/2008

Question:

I have always had underactive thyroids. in 1999 i had surgery to remove my thyroids and RI to kill of what was left. Sinds then i gained over 70 lbs. Although i watched wha i ate and and practced Tae Kwon Do. Today the day, my knees are bothering me and every morning it is hard to get out of bed because of pain in my knees.

I`m planning to do the Gastric BY pas, but My concern is that because i do not have functioning thyroids it wouldn`t be a succes.

Could you pls tell me if it is a good idea?

Answer:

Gastric bypass reduces the size of the stomach, and acts in ways that are not well understood to reduce appetite.  My understanding is that if it is properly performed, it should not cause malabsorption, i.e. a decreased ability to absorb those nutrients and chemicals across the intestinal wall that have been administered by mouth.  If that is the case, it should not interfere with the ability to absorb thyroid medication taken by mouth and the need for taking thyroid medication would not be a factor in the decision.  You should ask the surgeon who would perform the procedure whether this or any similar factor should be an issue in your decision whether to undergo the surgery. 

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD