Infertility

Period

08/01/2008

Question:

My question is when I get my period every month I always get these blood clots, well I don`t know if thats what you call them but it is dark red it looks like liver or something like that but anyway I get it every month and alot and I remember that a while back my gyn asked me if i used to get that and I said yes i asked him if that was normal and he said yes he said that it was good because that means that my body is getting clean so what i want to know if that is true is that normal because i have been trying to get pregnant for like three years now and it has not happen and all the test that I have gotten done to see why I have not gotten pregnant has come out good and my husbands test all so have been good so I really don`t understand it.

Answer:

As you have been attempting conception for quite some time, an evaluation followed by treatment, would be recommended.  The evaluation would consist of a dye test to see if the tubes are open, as well as a blood test to see if you are ovulating.  Your partner should have a semen analysis done to evaluate his sperm.  It sounds as if you have had both of these tests and they have come back normal. 

Therefore, you would be diagnosed as having unexplained infertility.  If you have had a normal dye test, I do not think that the blood clots that you have are a cause of your problems. 

Potential treatment would include fertility pills or shots, coupled with either intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in vitro fertilization (IVF).  You can see your doctor to discuss this further. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD