Infertility

Getting Pregnant At 42

08/01/2008

Question:

I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 yrs. Will I be able to get pregnant?

Answer:

Because of your age (42), your chances for conception are definitely decreased using your own eggs.  If you wanted to use your own eggs, I would recommend that you have a blood test to determine the quality of eggs left in the ovary (ovarian reserve testing).  If this testing were normal, I would recommend in vitro fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your ovaries with fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your partner's sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your uterus.  Of course, a semen analysis would need to be done in your husband as an initial step if this has not already been done.

Given your age, your best chances to conceive would definitely involve the use of donor eggs.  An egg donor would undergo the egg retrieval process, and your husband's sperm would be mixed with her eggs.  The resultant embryos would be transferred into your uterus.

I would suggest that you discuss these options with your doctor. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD