Myasthenia Gravis

Should I get pregnant?

08/01/2008

Question:

I was diagnosed with MG when I was 19. Since diagnois, my condition has been pretty resistent to normal treatment. I have undergone a thymechtomy, IVIg, and plasmapheresis. I have tried Cell Cept, cyclosporine, along with Mestinon (both Timespan and the 60mg tabs). I am currently taking methotrexate 16mgs/week, prednisone 20mg/day, and Mestinon as needed. I feel stable finally, but not 100%. I doubt I ever will. I decided that having a baby would only be an option if I ever felt 100%, but if that never happens, is there any way that I can safely have a baby. I don`t want to risk my health or the health of a baby, but I truly want to be a mother. I want to be truthful with my fiance as we discuss the possibility of children.

Answer:

This is a very difficult question and is really beyond what can be covered over the internet.

You should discuss this with your treating neurologist. It is most important to: 1) discuss with your neurologist and obstetrician which MG medications are safe during pregnancy, 2) consider what would be your neurological function on a safe regimen, and 3) how would you be treated if you worsened during the pregnancy. Talking directly with your treating physicians (current and future) and getting their opinions is the way to proceed.

Best of luck.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology