General Anesthesia and long-term memory loss

07/30/2008

Question:

My 70 year old mother had 4 surgeries in a three month period last September through November. She had acute necrotising pancreatitis. Prior to her illness and surgeries, she was very active and had a very sharp mind and wit. Her short-term and long-term memory were fantastic. Now she has trouble remembering short-term things and some of her long-term memory is affected as well.

We, the family are very grateful for every surgery she had because without them she would certainly have died. Most people don`t recover from her pancreatic situation, but she has made a full recovery. Now, my question: could the extended amounts of general anesthesia, which were necessary, be a cause for her memory problems? She has had numerous work up to check for strokes and heart problems and these are ruled out.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Memory after anesthesia
Memory Loss after local Anesthesia

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org