Complementary Medicine

Herbal Treatments for Bowel Cleanse

07/29/2008

Question:

I`d like more information on the herbal treatments that are supposed to cleanse your bowels. I would like to know if people really do accumulate large amounts of fecal matter within the small intestine that can be removed with these herbal treatments. I would also like more information about the magnesium oxide deficiency which could contribute to sluggish bowels. I may ask my doctor about this.

Answer:

While much has been suggested there is not an accumulation of fecal material in the small intestine since that would cause an irritant effect and expel same.

Herbal "cleanses" are really bowel irritants so while the person feels "cleansed by the cramping and diarrhea" there is no health improvement

Magnesium comes in many forms. The citrate is the laxative version but most will clean the bowel by stimulating the bowel muscles.

Magnesium - Office of Dietary Supplements (NIH)

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine