Colorectal Diseases

Rectal bledding only during menstruation

08/05/2008

Question:

i have gone to my regular doc about this he has never heard of such thing; he then referred me to a gastrologist who did a colonoscopy while i was mentrating;nothing i went to a gyn who doesn`t think i know the difference between rectal and vaginal bleeding. this only happens when i`m on my period. any suggestions?

Answer:

Hormonal fluctuations influence bowel habits; some women notice worsening constipation, or even diarrhea, at certain times during their menstrual cycle. If you have constipation during menses, you may have simple hemorrhoidal irritation and outlet bleeding.

If the blood is mixed with the stool during menses, you may have endometriosis of the colon that presents as cyclic bleeding per anus. Sometimes this is visible on colonoscopy, but not always. Capsule endoscopy during a menstrual period may be one option to diagnose the source of the bleeding.

If all else fails, and there is no contraindication, your Gyn may consider hormone therapy to treat presumed endometriosis. This discussion is best left up to you and your doctor, who may suggest other options for diagnosis and therapy.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division