Gynecology

Yeast infection

09/04/2008

Question:

I have itching, swelling and white discharge that looks like the same type of stuff that comes out of a teenage pimple. It started the day after me period ended this month. I never had this before. Could this be a yeast infection? It does not bothering me that much if it is a yeast infection can I let go without any treatment and see if it clears up by itself?

Answer:

I assume the discharge is coming from the vagina. It could be a yeast infection. The discharge is usually thick, white and cottage cheese like. It usually is associated with intense itching and burning. Since you don't have many symptoms, you could have a vaginal or cervical infection causing this discharge. This should be evaluated by taking a sample for culture to see if you need antibiotics. You should be seen soon as delay in treatment could cause more serious complications.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education