Anxiety and Stress Disorders

OCD

08/08/2008

Question:

i have many symptoms of ocd, the worst one being that i overanalyze everything. this gets in the way of my everyday life horribly. however, i`m afraid to talk to my mom about seeing a doctor, because i don`t think she believes that it`s a serious condition. do you have any advice for me?

Answer:

I would encourage you to read about OCD at this time.  There are some weblinks to good websites that might help you.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD, is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions).  People with OCD perform these behaviors (hand washing, counting, arranging, etc.) in order to decrease unwanted thoughts and decrease anxiety, but these thoughts and actions only minimally and temporarily decrease the anxiety, leading to the need to perform more repetitive behaviors or repeat the same thoughts.

Effective treatment is available for OCD, but getting an accurate diagnosis from a mental health provider is an important first step.  In your case, you might wish to start with your primary care doctor.  He or she can listen to your concerns, make sure there are no other health concerns, and refer you or offer recommendations for additional mental health assessment if needed.

Good Luck.

NIH NIMH anxiety
anxiety disorders of america

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD