Colorectal Diseases

Long term discomfort following surgery

08/05/2008

Question:

Hello. About 8 months ago I had a sphincterotomy for an anal fissure and some hemorrhoids removed. Short term recovery was painful but I got through it. However since then the area immediately around my anus has been consistently irritated and sometimes sore. On occassion there is stinging just inside the anus after a BM. And cleaning after a bowel movement is extremely unpleasant and not easy -- the skin is irritated and sensitive to the touch. Really the only way I can do it without hurting myself is to take a shower and clean myself. I`ve not gone back to my doctor about it because I`ve been sort of hoping it`d slowly get better, but I don`t see that happening. Before I do go back I`d like feedback on why this might be happening and what options there might be to address this.

Answer:

Hard to tell why you have perianal irritation. Best to have a good exam, since the potential causes are multiple- and may or may not be related to your recent surgery.

In the meantime try a good barrier ointment, like desitin or calmoseptine, to protect your skin and decrease irritation.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division