Depression

Anti-depressants Options

09/02/2008

Question:

I think that I need to take anti-depressants and I am getting anxious about the side affects. I did take them about 10 years ago and stopped after feeling very ill the next day after drinking just a couple of glasses of wine. I just I was in a vicious circle. Basically I am trying to get out of an on off 12 year relationship (he has a drink problem) and when I am down I let him back into my life. I`m feeling anxious and emotionally drained all the time and I`m avoiding social situations and when arrange social events with friends I find myself canceling them at the last minute. I just basically need a lift but need to take something that I can at least drink some alcohol with and also something that does not affect my fertility (I've got 4 failed IVF`s behind me and now being 43 I really can`t see that it`s ever going to happen for me). Basically at the moment I cannot see myself getting out of the rut I am in and I feel I have been going round and round in circles being up and down all my life. I want to get some positivity back into my life and look forward to the future (at the moment I can`t see the point in anything. I was brought with very parents and watched my father be violet towards my mother all my childhood. I would like to know which anti-depressants would suit me best (I don`t want to feel tired or slowed down - I need a lift and to feel a bit happier and positive again). Any advice would be greatly appreciated or if you think you could refer my problem onto to somebody else, your help would be much appreciated. Many many thanks

Answer:

You should get an evaluation from your primary care doctor or a mental health specialist. If the evaluation confirms your guess that this is depression, probably a major depressive episode, then consider trying a combination of bupropion (Wellbutrin) and some counseling. Exercise, sleep management, and daily self-management plans also improve response rates for the treatment of depression.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program