Head and Neck Cancer

What kind of surgery is good?

08/12/2008

Question:

My T3 and T4 are normal now, but the TG is higher than the level, if not sure the goiter is cancer or not! What kind of surgeries are good? 1. Minimally invasive surgery 2. General surgery 3. Surgical laser. I heard that if it is cancer, cannot use laser to cut. Right? If number minimally invasive surgery is good, where can I do it?

Answer:

You are not providing me with enough information. You have a normal thyroid function, but you seem to have a goiter or a thyroid nodule. How big is it? Was there a biopsy done? Usually we do a fine needle aspiration biopsy. The need for surgery is based on the result of the biopsy mainly, but also on the size of the gland in case of a goiter. There are many variations in technique to remove the thyroid gland. The tendency today is to do as small an incision as possible. What is most important is to do the right procedure without any complication. Consult a good thyroid surgeon…one that does this on a regular basis.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery