Spotting Before My Cycle

I am 26 years old and I have normal cycles. Usually every 28 days. I stated spotting before my cycle. It had an odor. When my cycle was supposed to start, it was normal. And this has been going on for a year or so, but my body had never done this before. So my question is why do I spot like four or five day before my period and then when its over? I understand you have to spot when your period ends but what I don`t understand is why do you have to spot before? Another thing is that sometimes I will spot for like two days then I will get some blood like if I have my period and then it will go away and spot again so this is on an off occurence until my period comes and every test that I have gotten done has come out normal paps, hsg etc. I had an hsg because I have been trying to conceive for four years with no luck. Can you please help me. Thank you

As you have been attempting conception for quite some time, an evaluation followed by treatment, would be recommended.  The evaluation would consist of a dye test to see if the tubes are open, as well as a blood test to see if you are ovulating.  It is possible that your spotting could be cased by a hormone imbalance. Your partner should have a semen analysis done to evaluate his sperm. 

If all testing were normal, I would consider using fertility shots or pills with insemination (injecting the sperm into the uterus at the time of ovulation).  If pregnancy still has not occurred, I would move to IVF or in vitro fertilization. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD