Infertility

Spotting Before My Cycle

08/22/2008

Question:

I am 26 years old and I have normal cycles. Usually every 28 days. I stated spotting before my cycle. It had an odor. When my cycle was supposed to start, it was normal. And this has been going on for a year or so, but my body had never done this before. So my question is why do I spot like four or five day before my period and then when its over? I understand you have to spot when your period ends but what I don`t understand is why do you have to spot before? Another thing is that sometimes I will spot for like two days then I will get some blood like if I have my period and then it will go away and spot again so this is on an off occurence until my period comes and every test that I have gotten done has come out normal paps, hsg etc. I had an hsg because I have been trying to conceive for four years with no luck. Can you please help me. Thank you

Answer:

As you have been attempting conception for quite some time, an evaluation followed by treatment, would be recommended.  The evaluation would consist of a dye test to see if the tubes are open, as well as a blood test to see if you are ovulating.  It is possible that your spotting could be cased by a hormone imbalance. Your partner should have a semen analysis done to evaluate his sperm. 

If all testing were normal, I would consider using fertility shots or pills with insemination (injecting the sperm into the uterus at the time of ovulation).  If pregnancy still has not occurred, I would move to IVF or in vitro fertilization. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD