Infertility

Conceiving With Hypothyroidism

08/22/2008

Question:

I have recently been prescribed 50mg of levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. I am going back for more blood tests in a few weeks to see the extent of my condition. My period is late by nearly three weeks and is not a result of a pregnancy. My partner and I have been trying to conceive for eight months now but no there's been no hope. Is this normal-irregular/missed periods? How long until my periods will return to normal again. Information would be appreciated.

Answer:

If you have irregular periods, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  It depends on the degree of hypothyroidism that you have whether or not your periods regulate.  If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open. 

Please see your doctor to discuss.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD