Epilepsy

JME drugs vs improved sleep habits?

08/07/2008

Question:

My 18 yr old son has been diagnosis with JME. For the past 2 years he only has the arm jerks and the dropsies upon waking when he doesn`t get enough sleep. He`s been burning the candle at both ends and had his 1st Grand Mal last week about 10 minutes after he woke up. He does not want to take meds and feels that if he commits to a better sleep schedule he can control the epilepsy. Is there any data about people not taking meds for this specific epilepsy? Any Epilepsy Experts I should take him to see? Thanks for any info

Answer:

Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME) is a epilepsy syndrome with a very high risk for additional seizures without treatment with a medication. I estimate the chance of another seizure to be greater than 90% without medication. Your son is taking a huge risk by electing not to take medication.

You can learn more about JME by clicking on the link below.

You can also find the closest epilepsy center via the weblink below.

Epilepsy Foundation: Seizures and Syndromes
Find an Epilepsy Center

Go to the Epilepsy health topic, where you can:

David M Ficker, MD David M Ficker, MD