Pulmonary Hypertension

Cardiac catheterization

08/19/2008

Question:

I had an echo done and it showed that the pressures where a bit higher in the pulmonary artiiry. I had the echo repeated a year later. That was on July 23, 2008. I have not go the results of that one yet. I am waiting to see a lung speciaiist at the end of August. I have to get a chest x-ray every year for a medication that I am on and it is always been clear. I have no symptoms at all and right now on no treatments. When should an Cardiac catheterization be done? Can we wait until I have some type of symptom or should we do it soon and if I true have PH to start treatment even with no symptoms?

Answer:

It sounds like you do not have any symptoms at this time. Whether you need a cardiac catheterization will depend on how high the pressures are on the echo and whether the echo shows evidence of strain on your right heart.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep