Addiction and Substance Abuse

What is drinking too much?

08/10/2008

Question:

Ive been drinking alcohol for about three years now. The first year, a few nights a week, id have three or four shots of wiskey. The seconde year i would drink more days of the week then not. By the third year i realized I`d been drinking for that long, and was rarely not drinking. Since then Ive went back to only drinking three or four nights a week. Anyways my question is, `Do you think I`s possible i could damaged my kidneys or liver?`

Answer:

The best thing to do is to see your doctor and find out. The recommended maximum safe amount of alcohol is 1 drink per day for women and 2 for men. 1 drink is about 1 can of beer, 5 oz. of wine or 1 oz. of liquor. There is a screening questionnaire called the M.A.S.T. that can tell you if you likely have a problem with alcohol. Your doctor can administer it to you or you can access it at the link below and score it yourself.

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST), Revised

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Edna M Jones, MD, MRO Edna M Jones, MD, MRO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine