Myasthenia Gravis

2 year old with MG

08/12/2008

Question:

Hi. I have a 2 year old boy with MG. He is currently on mestinon every 3 hours (he gets 1.25 ml). He is doing fine, but when he walks, he gets weak in the back quicker than the rest of his body. What do you suggest? Both dad and mom don`t have symptoms. He started showing signs of MG at the age of 1 and it was discoverd at the age of 2 through an EMG test. What do you think his chances of it going away are or will he have it for life? Thanks.

Answer:

If at all possible, it is important that you have your son evaluated at a center that is skilled with unusual neuromuscular conditions. When a very young patient receives a diagnosis of MG and the symptoms are persistent, it can turn out to be a congenital myasthenic syndrome (CMS). CMS are very rare conditions that require special tests to diagnose accurately. Some MG treatments may be used (mestinon may help) but there are quite a few treatment differences. Also, evaluating weakness in the very young is difficult.

It is important to consider all the possible causes of weakness (muscle problems, motor nerve problems and neuromuscular junction defect). It is for these reasons that it is so important to obtain care at a center with a great deal of expertise. So much rests on an accurate diagnosis! I wish you the best of luck.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology