Menopause

Is this menopause

08/12/2008

Question:

I am 49 yrs old and this has been happening now for a few years. I am still having my periods and they are a full 7 days. A few days before my periods and and a few after, I have a stringy brownish looking discharge, now the discharge is becoming longer and more of a nucience. All my Dr. says is,, it is premenopausal and no problem, I have had a sonogram, nothing there. Also I have a IUD fitted (copper 7). Is this really normal. Some times I get scared. I always have my paps done yearly, no problems there. ,,

Answer:

If your menstrual periods are regular, not getting heavier and heavier, the sonogram is normal, the brown discharge is likely just the part of the period that is coming out so slowly that it turns brown before it gets out.  When you are younger, the estrogen levels return to normal range more quickly and stabilize the lining of the uterus so that it does not continue to spot for so long.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology