Sports Medicine

Figure skater`s heel injury

08/12/2008

Question:

Hello, My daughter is a competitve figure skater and trains 3 hours per day. She has developed a lump on the back of both heels which are very painful and sensitive to touch. She can move her foot freely without pain. The pressure of her figure skate or shoes causes pain. She has been diagnosed as having bruised the bone, and that the bone is growing more bone as a reaction. (due to growth hormones in her system? she is 15) She has taken 2 weeks off and that has helped, but she is still feeling pain depending on the range of motion, crosscuts for example. She is taking advil and has taped foam to the underside of her heel bumps to take the pressure off while in her skate boot. I am wondering what your thoughts are? Would calf lifts to bring blood flow to the area help speed up recovery? Thank you!

Answer:

This condition most likely represents Sever's disease, a condition specific to young athletes.  Here is a link to read more about this condition:

http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pediatrics/pedtext/s19c08.html

Treatment consists of rest, ice and NSAIDS for 4 weeks followed by strengthening and stretching of the calf and hamstring muscles. 

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Charles Webster, MD