Spine and Back Health

Spinal Fluid Sack

08/26/2008

Question:

My girlfreind had her spinal sack pouch torn 16 yrs. ago. She was in the hospital for three months. They tried blood patches several times with no success. They ended up folding her bottom sack pouch into itself and sewing up the tear. Her pouch is less than 1/2 the normal size. She can not go under 10 feet of water or on top of any mountain without severe head pain and dry heaves. I had to take here to a hospital this weekend in Bahamas. Could this be related to her having a small spinal sack pouch?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your girlfriend's condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with her history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results she's been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to her treating physician(s). She should insist that they answer these questions in a way that she is able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If her physician is unable to help her understand these issues, she should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery