Athletic Training

Elbow

08/12/2008

Question:

I was reaching for something at work at and I felt something like my elbow locked. Now I have pain and swelling just below my elbow. I have been looking on the internet and I am trying to figure out what legaments and tendon are there. If I lay my arm on my stomach with my funny bones sticking out. I have pain and swelling on the top outside of my arm. I also have pain on the back of my upper arm. Sometimes the pain shoots up to my shoulder and down to my hand. Could this be a torn legiment and what legament is in that area?

Answer:

Thank you for your question to this site, but it is hard to guess as to the nature of your problem. You describe a significant increase in elbow pain and swelling since your episode of locking; you most likely sustained some type of injury to your elbow that warrants further attention from your local physician so they can evaluate the elbow and determine the source of your injury and prescribe a course of treatment.  Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences