Urinary Disorders

Urethral Stent Removal

10/09/2008

Question:

I have had two kidney stones over the last 2 years. I had a string to remove the first stent and this was not painful at all and the second stent was removed with a scope which was very uncomfortable and resulted in painful urination for almost a week. Both stents were only in place for about 5 days and I am wondering what reasons there were for not using the string removal method for the second stent and can I ask in the future to have a string if I have another stone?

Answer:

Reasons to not use the string: no reason. The length of the string outside the urethral can be adjusted so that the string does not require taping to the thigh which can result in pulling the stent out of position. Ideally, the string should remain visible at the urethral opening, or in men, positioned in the urethra which facilitates grasping through a scope that does not traverse the sphincter or the prostate. I tie knots on the string to facilitate grasping. Occasionally, the string migrates back up into the prostate or bladder, but in general, use of the string is not contraindicated.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology